Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Around The World Blog Hop Post

My good friend Christa of Christa Quilts asked if I'd like to participate in the Around The World Blog Hop.  I said sure!  Each hop post consists of answering a set of questions about the writer's creative process.  I'm always curious to know how others think, and I'm guessing you are too.  I was supposed to post this on Monday, but due to computer problems (ugh!), it had to wait until today. 

1.  What am I working on?  I am a quilter, but lately I've taken a little break from quilting to work on some simple projects.

Chevron tote

Moonflower tote/purse
Such instant gratification.  : )  I'd like to make some matching accessories next, like wallet, sunglasses case, tissue holder, etc.

Before making these bags, I started on a 16-patch quilt made from Moda Printemps fabrics.  It will be set 6 blocks x 6 blocks (72" square). 





I'll get back to it soon, maybe at the retreat I'm going to with Christa later this month.  Can't wait for that.  

2.  How does my work differ from others in its genre?  Doesn't everyone's?  I love how each person interprets a particular design differently.  Quilts that have vintage roots and modern style are my favorite to make.

3. Why do I create what I do?  I am a born sewer; I begged my mom to teach me at an early age (6, I think).  I began quilting when I took a continuing-education quilting class at the local university and decided to make my now grown daughter a baby quilt.  At first, I thought it was so much work! Of course, I was hooked and have been making them for myself and my family every since.

4. How does my creative process work?  I'll see a quilt or color combination that I like (I love Pinterest for this), and then think about how I'd interpret it. I rarely work with a pattern.  Whenever I make a quilt, it almost always takes me 3 times to get it right, with both the arrangement of the fabrics, and the quilting.  That frustrates me, and there's always a lot of ripping involved.  But, I've learned to accept that it's the way I work.  It doesn't seem to help to sketch it out first, makes no sense. ; )

I hope you enjoyed a little insight into my process. I'm tagging my good friend Linda at Linda's Tangled Threads, so look for her Around the World blog post next Monday.