Tuesday, July 30, 2019

How I Make Time to Sew






When my kids were young, it seemed like I had more time to sew.  When they took naps, I would hurry to the sewing machine; while I waited in school parking lots, I'd do some hand sewing.  I basically squeezed in sewing whenever I could.

Life seems busier now, and even though most of my kids have grown up and moved out, I have trouble finding time to sew.  Maybe it's because I'm more in charge of my time now, I just keep putting other things ahead of my sewing projects.  

I needed to try something different.  I decided to try sewing 15 minutes a day - consistently.  And you know - it has really helped!  I'm kind of amazed at what I can get done in that short amount of time.  For example, while working on a sample for the shop recently, I found that in 15 minutes I could do one of the following:

  • Clear off my work area and thread my machine
  • Cut thirty 5" squares
  • Slice 36 sewn half-square triangle units and press open
  • Trim 36 half-square triangle units
  • Rip out a wonky seam, then pin and sew back together
  • Pin and sew 2 rows together
You get the idea.  And the time really adds up - 15 minutes per day x 6 per week = 1 1/2 hours!  Even if you just sew 4 times a week, that add up to an hour. 

Some tips to make this method successful:
  • Leave your sewing machine set up.  If you can't do this, then make it as easy as possible to get to (like keeping it in the room you'll be using it)
  • Keep your project and supplies out and together, preferably near your sewing machine.  If you have to put them away, clear storage boxes or those clear bedding bags work great
  • Think ahead.  When your 15 minutes is done, think about what you'll need for the next step and try to have the supplies ready to go (ironing board, seam ripper, full bobbin, etc)
  • Leave yourself a note as to what the next step is
  • Consistency is key; put a reminder on your phone is you need to 
If you're having a hard time getting to your projects, try sewing for 15 minutes a day.  I think you'll be surprised at how much you get done.

xoxo Stacy 



See what I'm up to on Instagram

Sign up for my shop email newsletter here and get 15% off your first order!