It's my turn to show you my version of a quilt from Christa Watson's great new book. But first, the original from the book:
Modern with a nod to traditional. Love it! OK, here's mine:
As you can see, my little twist on this quilt is a subtle Halloween theme. I am loving the trendy combo of aqua and orange right now, and it fits right in. The style of quilting I chose is called "Gentle Wavy Lines" in the book and it's one of my favorites. It's quick, easy and gives a nice texture. I quilted the lines vertically from top to bottom, approx. 1" apart. I just marked a few straight lines to guide my quilting. In the book, the name of the quilt is "Square in a Square".
In her book, Christa shows you that YOU CAN quilt your own quilt on your domestic machine. This book shows lots of designs, from easy (like gentle waves) to the more complex (swirls, pebbles, etc.). And she gives instructions for 12 modern quilts to use those designs on. Machine Quilting with Style is a great resource for every quilter who has even thought about quilting her own quilt.
For as long as I've known Christa (since our 15-year-old sons were babies!), she's been a cheerleader of quilting your own quilt. She's devoted much time to sharing and teaching her awesome skills, and loves to see you succeed with your quilt. She'll be leading a quilt-along in January and is encouraging everyone to vote for their favorite (here). The winner will be the object of the quilt along. How fun!
More good news -- I've been given permission to give an e-copy to one lucky reader. Leave me a comment saying whether or not you've ever quilted your own quilt (with your domestic machine). I'll choose a winner on Sept. 28.
If you don't win (or just can't wait), get yours here 0r a signed copy from Christa. Right now it's the #1 new release in patchwork on Amazon. Woohoo!
Hop on over to these blogs to check out their versions:
- 9/14 Start at ChristaQuilts
- 9/14 Color Crystals – Vicki Reubel from Orchid Owl Quilts
- 9/14 Technicolor Backing – Ida Ewing from Ida Rather Be Quilting
- 9/15 Pearl Gray – Alyce Blyth from Blossom Heart Quilts
- 9/16 Broken V – Sharon McConnell from Color Girl Quilts
- 9/17 Candy Pop – Linda Hungerford from Flourishing Palms
- 9/18 Ripples – Melissa Corry from Happy Quilting
- 9/19 Little Man’s Fancy – Tina Guthmann from Mod Geometry
- 9/22 Static – Lee Heinrich from Freshly Pieced
- 9/23 Rain – Cheryl Brickey from Meadow Mist Designs
- 9/24 Lightning – Leanne Chahley from She Can Quilt
- 9/25 Facets – Kristy Daum from St. Louis Folk Victorian
- 9/26 Focal Point – Amy Garro from 13 Spools
- 9/15 Andover Fabrics
- 9/16 Amy’s Free Motion Quilting Adventures and Leah Day’s Free Motion Quilting Project
- 9/17 Do You EQ? from Electric Quilt and Darlene from Quilt Shop Gal
- 9/18 Jacquelynne Steves’ The Art of Home and Scott Hansen from Blue Nickel Studios
- 9/19 Moda Fabrics – The Cutting Table
- 9/21 Katy Cameron from The Littlest Thistle
- 9/22 Debbie Grifka of Esch House Quilts and Generation Q Magazine
- 9/23 Rebecca Bryan of Bryan House Quilts
- 9/24 Stitch This – The Martingale Blog and Riley Blake Fabrics
- 9/25 Michele Foster of The Quilting Gallery and Teri Lucas from TerifiCreations
- 9/26 Pellon Projects and Amy Ellis from Amy’s Creative Side