Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Heart Quilt Finish



Cross a work-in-progress off the list.  Yay!  I started this little heart quilt (50" x 60") about 6 years ago (I know!). At that time, I was meeting with a wonderful group of quilt-y ladies.  Each month, one of us would choose a block for next month's raffle.  For every block you made, you received an entry into the raffle.  When it was my turn, I chose this 8" 4-patch heart block, made a couple, and then was thrilled to win them all.


I put them together, then put it away, got it out, put it away, you know how it goes.  I finally decided in January of this year, I was going to get it done.  I wasn't very good at machine quilting at the time I started it, and some of it makes me cringe now (inside the hearts).  But, I love the finished quilt.  One little problem though, some of the washable blue marker, applied a long time ago, didn't come out.  Does anyone know how to remove it? 


 I free-motion quilted a rose design in the border after drawing it out and practicing on a sample.  I've discovered I'd much rather free-style quilt than have to follow lines.  I applied and finished the binding by machine, and love how it turned out and how fast it went.  If you want to see better pictures of the border quilting and binding, check out my Instagram




Next, I'm going to get this little Posie Patch top quilted.  I think I'll do diagonal straight-line stitching across the 9-patches and outline quilt the flowers.  Should be fun!


Linking to:  Quilt Story Fabric Tuesday
                  Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday 
                  My Quilt Infatuation NTT 
                  Crazy Mom Quilts Friday Finish